On Instagram and Twitter, celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Kate Upton often post pictures of themselves sitting in their makeup chairs, their hair wrapped in rollers. It seems actresses and singers from every area post the same sort of photo.В
So what's the big deal with Velcro rollers and hot rollers? They're the secret to body and shape.В
Using Rollers for Fullness
"Many hairstylists set their clients' hair in curlers no matter what style they're going for, from updos to long waves," says pro stylist Garren in InStyle magazine. "They give the hair a lush fullness you can't get otherwise."
You can use those old-fashioned hot rollers you probably have stored away in the back of your bathroom closet, but Velcro rollers are a great option too and do not use heat. The bigger the size of the roller, the better, otherwise you can end up with curls when what you are really going after is body.В
You don't need long hair to use rollers. BecauseВ rollers come in all sizes, you can use smaller ones for shorter hair. To ensure a strong set, spritz hairspray or a setting spray to sections of hair before wrapping them around a roller. And rollers work best on hair that's been blow-dried. Any moisture in your hair and it won't keep a curl.
The best thing is you don't have to roll your entire head to get the desired effect. For optimal volume for little effort, simply roll the top section of hair. You can also just roll your bangs if you choose, or even your entire head.
Here's how to properly use Velcro or hot rollers to give your hair more body:
- Separate your hair into sections. To do this, first separate your hair horizontally into a top section and a bottom section by taking your thumbs and running them through your hair from the top of your ears to the back. Then separate the top and bottom sections into 3 sections. Your sections should be about 2- to 3-inches and never wider than the roller.
- Starting with the top middle section, spritz hair with product then wind hair up or under, depending on what look you are going for. Experiment rolling your hair in different directions to see what works best for you.В
- Continue wrapping hair all around the head. If you have thick hair or long hair, you may need to divide your hair into more sections.В
- Let it set for at least 10 minutes. You can do your makeup while your hair sets, or catch up on reading.В
- Remove the rollers carefully, hair can easily tangle in a roller.
- Finger comb hair and end with a spritz of hairspray. Don't go overboard with the spray, you want the hair to move.
How to Use Hot Rollers to Give Hair Volume
If you are using hot rollers, it's best to use ones with a metal core. The heat transmits much more effectively. Hot rollers can make hair too curly. To do this, position the roller 1 to 2 inches from the end of your hair and roll toward the head, leaving the ends out.В
Looking for great rollers? TryВ Conair's Self-Grip Hair Rollers.